Porsche 356 Coupé „Ferdinand“
From March 1950, sports car production is relocated to Stuttgart-Zuffenhausen from Gmünd in Carinthia, where “Porsche Konstruktionen GmbH” had moved in 1944. By the end of the year, the company – now operating under the name of “Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche KG” – builds 369 units of the now steel-bodied 356 using the facilities of the Reutter car body factory. On September 3, Porsche employees present this coupé to Prof. Ferdinand Porsche on the occasion of his 75th birthday. After Prof. Porsche’s death in January 1951, the coupé clocks up almost 400,000 kilometres as a test vehicle. All test cars are given names and this specific vehicle goes down in history as “Ferdinand”. The car features the first anti-roll bar and radial tyres and, for a while, is the first 356 to be powered by a Carrera engine.
|Power Output:||29 kW (40 hp)|
|Acceleration 0-100 km/h:||23.5 s|
|Top speed:||140 km/h|